Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Mandolin Trade

In my last post, I mentioned that I had second thoughts on using my "music fund" for a second acoustic guitar. One possibility was trading my mandolin.

I got my Eastman last Christmas, and it's a good instrument. It was a very nice upgrade from the entry-level Kentucky I had before that. I've played it a *lot*, and I generally liked it...but there was always a nagging unhappiness. It has a good sound, but seems "small". When I've played with other folks, the sound seems to disappear. Maybe that's the fault of my playing...I don't know. And I always seemed to have a hard time keeping it exactly in tune.

I decided to give it one last chance. One night last week, I took it to a shop in Reading that's highly recommended. I had a great time talking music and gear with the proprietor as he looked over my mando, changed the strings, did some little adjustments, etc. He pronounced it in good shape.

So then, the test. I took it to the river with me last weekend. Would the new strings and the setup make a difference? Sadly, no. So I decided that I'd sell it and get another one. Not to do a big upgrade, just to get a good solid instrument.

My first thought was that I'd list it on the classified of Mandolin Cafe. But then I looked at The Mandolin Store (the highly reputable place where I bought both the Eastman and Kentucky), and I saw that they do trades. So I phoned them, and we did a trade. My Eastman is currently en route to them, and as soon as they get it and verify its condition, they'll ship me a Breedlove Premier OF.

I'm hoping, if all goes well, to have it by the middle of next week. I'm very much missing having a mandolin in the house. I really do play it every day.

Review and pics when it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment