Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2014

NGD: Recording King RO-310

Yes, yesterday was New Guitar Day. I wrote recently about wanting a second acoustic - a decent quality instrument that would have a niche between the Martin and the travel guitar. When the Seagull didn't work out, I stopped actively pursuing that - but I look at the Craigslist classifieds every day as a matter of habit. I enjoy following what people are trying to sell.

Early this week, I saw an ad that piqued my interest. A mint condition Recording King RO-310. From some reading I've been doing, I've been looking at two brands, Recording King and Blue Ridge, as possible good candidates for a second acoustic. They're both making reasonably-priced, good quality guitars - and in many cases, basically to Martin specs.

The RO-310 is very close to the specs of a Martin 000-18. The "000" body size is smaller than the standard dreadnaught, and it's a solid wood guitar, not a laminate. The top is Adirondack spruce, and the sides and back are mahogany. It has a slightly wider fingerboard (1 3/4" vs. the standard 1 11/16"), which is considered ideal for fingerpicking.

The seller bought it a year ago from Elderly, a reputable dealer, and one that would give the instrument a proper setup. He said he got it to try the 000 size, and didn't like it. I went and looked at it yesterday, and his story checked out. It really is mint condition.

We had negotiated a price before I went there. I haggle in advance - if the condition is as advertised, and I want it, we've already agreed on the final price. So I went and played it, and it really did seem mint. So I gave him an envelope of cash and brought it home.

To questions of why this was necessary, my answer is, "it isn't." I saw the chance to get what should be a good guitar at a *great* price. I'm interested to see how the 000 body size and the wider fingerboard feel. I'm interested to see how the Adirondack top and the mahogany sides and back sound, as that's the combination that's made Martin's D-18 and 000-18 famous. I think I'll have a niche for it as a second acoustic, and as a travel guitar for when it won't be exposed to the elements (the River, absolutely...the Folk Fest or a campground, no.) And if I decide to unload it, I'm near certain I can sell it for at least what I paid for it.

I think it was a great deal for a good guitar. Between this and the mandolin that's on the way, my music fund is pretty much empty. And that's okay, I'll replenish it with sales and with gig earnings. I'm happy. Happy NGD to me.

Now about that new mandolin....

No comments:

Post a Comment