Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Musical Week in Review, 1/26

There's a lot going on, and most of it doesn't seem substantial enough for a blog post of its own, but maybe I'll try to do a "week in review" post with random thoughts and tidbits every Sunday. Seems worth a try, right? So here goes.

* I did an open mic at the Bally Hotel with Rosewood on Wed. night. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing - Sandy had a friend in town who wanted to see us play, so we found a place to play. We played some new songs and had fun. The guy running the open mic liked us, and it sounds like we'll have a Friday night gig in April, and an appearance on his local radio show. Yes, really. Stay tuned.

* One of the new songs we're doing is Carole King's "It's Too Late", which is a gorgeous song. The Am7/D6 progression that starts the song is haunting. Oh, and I'm taking the piano riff "da da da da da-da-da" (you know that one I mean - the signature riff), which is fun.

* After taking most of January off, Rosewood rehearsals will now ramp up, as our next gig is less than three weeks away.

* Darling Wife had an exciting day yesterday. She joined the West Chester Community Chorus in the fall, and their first concert was yesterday. She had a full cheering section in attendance, and it was a fun afternoon. Thankfully, her fear of toppling off the stage into the orchestra pit didn't happen. We're all looking forward to the next concert in May.

* "Hotel California" is an amazing song. I love the studio version, love the 70's live version, love the acoustic live version from "Hell Freezes Over", and love Don Felder's YouTube guitar lesson. I finger-pick the song very day, just because it's so beautiful and pleases me so much to play it.

* Staying on a California theme, I'm also kinda obsessed with Led Zeppelin's "Going to California." The 1975 live version is definitive for me. I love the mandolin line, and love the finger-picking guitar. I've kept an acoustic tuned to double drop-D for the past week or so, just so I can work on it. Again, it just pleases me to play.

* I've been hearing a version of the Everly Brothers' "Long Time Gone" by Billie Joe Armstrong (of Green Day) and Norah Jones, and it's fantastic.

* The soundtrack to "Inside Llewyn Davis" is a must-have.

* Acoustic jam meetup was this afternoon, and the song selection was especially great. I played mostly mandolin. But that gets its own post.

No comments:

Post a Comment