Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Mandolin at the Acoustic Jam

I mentioned in my last post that the monthly acoustic jam meetup was last Sunday, and that I played a lot of mandolin. I'll expand on that now.

The jam was the first time I'd taken my new baby out in public. I had gotten a number of nice comments from my musician friends on my FB profile pic, and a number of folks came up and wanted to check out my new baby up close.

My intention was to play as many songs on the mando as I could. Most of the songs we play in the jam have fairly simple chord progressions - which is by design. It's an inclusive group that welcomes players of all levels. If you know a handful of basic chords, you're not going to be totally lost.

The first thing I wanted to see was if I could follow along with songs, in real time, and be fast enough with chord changes. Gratifyingly, the answer was yes. With a few exceptions ("B7...where the f&%^ is B7?"), it was fairly effortless, and felt good.

Then there's taking a lead. Don acts as our bandleader (and is invaluable to the jam), and he'll nod at people to give them 8 bars to solo. I know the basics of what to do, and was looking forward to trying - but it didn't go well. The issue was projection. I'd never really thought about that before. I play in my room or in the basement, and I'm not playing *for* anyone - quite the opposite, I try to play quietly, so as not to disturb anyone. So when I started my lead, I realized that I couldn't be heard...then I realized as I attempted to be louder, that I'd never really "dug in" and tried to project. And when I thought about that, I lost track of what notes I was playing.... Crash and burn....

 That's okay, crashing and burning is going to happen now and then if you're challenging yourself, and it was among supportive friends. But I'll be damned if I'll make the same mistake again. I'm now thinking about projecting as I practice. If that means I get the occasional "keep it down in there!", so be it.

Overall, it was fun and a great experience. My confidence is growing, and I can't wait for next month's jam. Or maybe even a sooner jam, if I have the nerve. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment