Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Infirmary

My mandolin and my Martin have been in the infirmary (i.e., are in the shop for a few minor modifications) for the past week, and I'm itching to get them back.

The Martin is in for one simple thing: a strap button. Martin doesn't install strap buttons in the factory - I guess enough people want their guitars without. (If you don't know what I mean by a strap button, look at this.) It's possible to attach a strap to the headstock (for example, here), but I'd rather not do that. And I want to play the Martin standing up - hence the trip to the infirmary.

It's a quick and simple operation. I did it last month on the Recording King acoustic I got in September. The part costs a few dollars. You drill one hole (very carefully!), screw it in, and you're done. But I'm sorry, I'm not taking a drill to my Martin. Nope. I want a guy who's done it 100 times to do it. The tech will also give it a check-up and a string change while he has it.

The mando is getting a pickup installed. See the pic at right from Rosewood's latest gig at the bakery. Sandy's been fooling around with the banjo, and we broke out the banjo/mando lineup for the first time in public. (That's our friend Don joining us on the bass.)

I'm playing the mando into a microphone, which is a little awkward. The mic has to be positioned correctly - then I have to stay still to get a constant volume. It would be much easier to have a pickup and just plug into the P.A. I'd hear this unit recommended by people I trust, including the tech at the shop.

Again, this is something I could probably order online and install myself - what I like about this pickup is that it doesn't involve permanent modifications to the instrument (i.e., drilling holes and installing something inside). But I'd rather someone with experience do the job, so it will be right the first time.

I'm excited, and am looking very forward to getting my babies back and testing the mods.

No comments:

Post a Comment