Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Musical Year in Review

I just took a minute to read my end-of-year post from one year ago today. With the 2013 specifics taken out, that post pretty well summarizes 2014 as well. Playing and seeing music has become my primary interest. It's what I want to do with all my free time. I love my guitars, my mandolin, and my basses. I love them all and play them all. Specific musical highlights from the past year are as follows:
  • Rosewood is still more fun than I could have believed possible. We probably averaged a gig per month, and that should continue into 2015.
  • Darling Wife's birthday plans for me, starting with the Martin factory tour, and ending at the Nazareth Music Center, made for a very special 50th birthday. It's a day I'll never forget, and the HD-28 still takes my breath away. I'm pretty sure I've played it every single day that I've been home since getting it. I don't think I've ever had a "prized possession" - that is, something you'd run into a burning building to save. I now have one.
  • We watched and played music in Ireland!
  • The acoustic jam meetups are still a lot of fun - both for the music and for the friendships we've developed. And don't look now, but there's a new meetup we'll be attending on Saturday night.
  • The 2014 Phila Folk Fest was another highlight, both for the music and the people we camped and jammed with. We're still fine-tuning things, but we're in for the '15 Fest.
  • We saw some fantastic performances. Tommy Emmanuel, Natalie MacMaster, The Mavericks, Nickel Creek, The Steep Canyon Rangers (not to mention countless others at the folk fest.) There's so much good music out there.
As far as goals for 2015, I don't have anything specific - just to keep going on this path. Play as much, and with as many people as possible. Get better on the guitar, the mandolin, and the bass as best I can. See as much good music as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment