Pages

Monday, December 29, 2014

Seagull 12 String

I've had some bonus money from work burning a hole in my pocket, and also a little Christmas cash. So when Darling Wife asked what I planned to do with it, I told her I was thinking of using part of it on a 12-string guitar. She's often mentioned that she loves the sound of a 12-string, and told me I should do it.

I didn't need to be told twice, and quickly figured out the right one: a Seagull Coastline S12. It's quite inexpensive (as guitars go) and highly rated. Not only that, but this is basically the 12-string version of the Seagull acoustic I already have (that's currently for sale on Craigslist.) It's a fantastic guitar, and sounds like a *much* more expensive instrument than it is. Also (and this is worth a lot in my house) - it's Canadian made, in La Patrie, Quebec. I'm sad to let my 6-string Seagull go, but with a Martin in the house, it's just one 6-string too many.

Santa delivered the Seagull 12 on Christmas Day, and I've been playing it as much as possible ever since. The full shimmery sound you get from is distinctive and very pretty. I've been playing strumming songs pretty much exclusively on the 12.

There's much more I have to learn about a 12. Flatpicking and fingerpicking sound and feel weird. Maybe there's a way to do it...or maybe it's just a strumming guitar. I'll research. But regardless, this is a keeper, and has a place in the rotation.

And now I can officially say that I don't need and don't want any more guitars. (Stop laughing, I'm dead serious. For the moment.)

No comments:

Post a Comment