Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Open Mic at The Rock

I hinted at the end of my last post that I talked with a friend from the acoustic jam meetup, and we were considering playing some songs at the following Tuesday's open mic at The Rock. This did happen - Marylou and I settled on three relatively easy songs that she was comfortable singing:
  • Nights in White Satin (Moody Blues)
  • For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield)
  • Horse with No Name (America)
ELP's "Lucky Man" was a possibility, but scrapped in favor of "Horse with No Name".

It all went very smoothly. I played my Seagull, which is a straight acoustic guitar. Many of the other players have acoustic/electric guitars (with a pickup for plugging into an amp.) That means they had to set up a mic in front of me, and that worked well enough. Another friend from the meetup let Marylou borrow his gorgeous Gibson acoustic/electric guitar.

We played our three songs and got through them fine. It was a lot of fun, and I'd love to do more things like this - the big caveat being that I need to perform with someone who can sing, as I can't carry a tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment