Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"No Quarter" and DADGAD Tuning

I saw a YouTube guitar lesson over the weekend on the Page/Plant acoustic version of "No Quarter". I love the Zeppelin version of this song, especially the live version with John Paul Jones' extended keyboard solo, but this is an interesting rearrangement for acoustic guitar.

It's in DADGAD tuning, which I only know from "Kashmir". The guitar lesson is here, and I re-tuned and easily followed along. I've kept my Seagull tuned in DADGAD ever since, and have been playing both "No Quarter" and "Kashmir" a lot (probably to Darling Wife's distraction.)

I want to find some more songs to play in this tuning - though just noodling around is fun in itself. It produces an exotic sound, which I'm not sure how to describe - Middle Eastern? Arabic? Indian? I just know that I like it - a lot.

Here's the Page/Plant version of "No Quarter":

No comments:

Post a Comment