Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Band Practice and Soloing

Last night was band practice, as all Tuesdays have been recently.  It's still a blast, and we're getting the songs in our set list down pretty well.  I think we sound decent, and am pretty certain we'll be able to do a creditable 90 minutes.  We have more time to rehearse than we originally thought, as we had to cancel the April 2 gig date due to band member travel.  We're trying to reschedule, and it seems likely that it will be in the May timeframe.

I took both guitars with me last night, but played the Epiphone exclusively.  I wanted to see what it felt like and played like over an extended practice.  We played for two hours and did every song in our set list, and it felt great.  I'm still not entirely happy with my tone, so I'm playing with amp settings - but that's unrelated to the new guitar, I've also been playing with amp settings and trying to find the right tone with the Telecaster.

My ability to take a solo is coming along.  It probably rates as "almost at the minimum acceptable level."  But that's significant progress, as three months ago I basically couldn't do it at all.  Now, given any key, I can do *something.*  Probably even enough that a friendly audience would say it was fine.  But I need to get better, and I intend to.

The first thing I need to do is expand my repertoire of phrases or licks.  After practice last night I realized that in the five songs where I have a free-form solo, I was doing the same basic thing in every song.  I need to listen to songs and watch YouTube to get ideas, and plan this out better.  I realize now that it's not the quantum physics I thought it was.

I also need to be able to bring a solo to a definite conclusion.  It now basically just peters out, and I nod to the guys to get on with the next verse.  It should be obvious when it's ending, and I need to figure out how to do that.

Our next rehearsal is in two weeks, and I intend to have improved by then.

Final anecdote: discussing the Les Paul, Eric noted that I would look more like Jimmy Page if I had it slung about a foot lower (basically playing it off my thigh.)  I answered that I would also need satin dragon pants.  But seriously, how does he play it that low?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment