Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Musical Week in Review, 5/16

As usual, there's more going on than time to write about it. I know I still have my Nickel Creek concert review to write (spoiler - it was *awesome*!) Here are a few random notes:

* Here's something I blogged last year after the Folk Fest:
The Mavericks: I had never heard of these guys, but they blew the place away. Totally fantastic. They were a 9-piece band, including horns and accordion. They had a swing that almost sounded Latin at times - and the program said the bandleader is a Cuban-American guy based out of Miami. His voice had almost a Roy Orbison sound. Almost everyone we talked to later said some variation of "Holy smokes, did you see the Mavericks?!?" I would absolutely see them again if they came locally.
Well, they're in town tonight, and Darling Wife and I will be there. We've been looking very forward to this. If you're not dancing, swaying, clapping your hands, or tapping your feet when the Mavericks are playing, you're most likely dead.

* Speaking of the Folk Fest, I saw on a friend's FB that it's 90 days to Folk Fest '14. Darling Wife and I have our "all festival camping" tickets. The initial line-up is here. I won't say I'm super-excited about anyone specific (though Tommy Emmanuel will be a highlight), but in my limited experience, part of what makes the Folk Fest really cool is that you discover fantastic people you never would have heard of otherwise. I was really hoping Nickel Creek would be on the bill, but they're not (at least not in this initial line-up.)

* Rosewood has a gig tomorrow night at the West End Alley in Pottstown. We've played here a number of times over the past year, and it's always been a very fun evening. We've been working on some new songs, and a couple will be in the set. More details in my gig write-up afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment