Pages

Friday, May 2, 2014

Musical Month in Review

I'm so far behind in blogging that I'll never catch up - and I won't even try. But there are a number of things going on, each of which could easily be a post of its own.

* I had another bakery gig with Rosewood on Apr. 18, and I really think it was our best yet. It was our first time playing out with our new sound system, and it sounded noticeably better - both to us, and to some listeners who've heard us before. Every table in the place was reserved (not that it's a huge place, but still...), and we got some very flattering feedback. Oh, and I played mandolin on one song. Exciting and scary at the same time. We're still working how to properly fit it into the mix.

* I've sold one bass amp and bought its replacement. Here's today's favorite.

* I'm still fairly mandolin-obsessed. I'm having fun with the Mike Marshall lessons - and I'm now fairly proficient at sending him a video of my playing. His feedback is always helpful, and I can feel that I'm improving.

* We're going to see Chris Thile with Nickel Creek tonight at the Tower Theater, and I'm excited. Chris is a mandolin prodigy/virtuoso. He has a number of collaboration projects and solo efforts all going on seemingly at the same time, and he's currently touring with his original bluegrass band (that he started when he was eight years old.) I very much wanted to see his classical show last fall at the Academy of Music (he was touring behind a solo CD of Bach partitas), but I couldn't. I heard from friends afterwards that it was awe-inspiring. Stay timed for a review of tonight's show.

* Still on Chris Thile, there are 5-6 videos on YouTube of a recent visit he made to a vintage instrument dealer in Nashville. Fascinating.

* I wasn't able to make the monthly bluegrass jam last night at Chaplin's. Darling Wife was just getting back from her home and native land. Maybe next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment