Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Musical Week in Review, 3/25

* Our friend Don (from the acoustic jams and the Folk Fest) turned 60 on Sunday, and to celebrate, he invited a few friends to his house on Saturday night for a jam. We'd been to one of his jams before, so we knew it would be a great time. And it was. Great music with good people. I took a guitar and a mandolin, and played each about the same amount. It was gratifying to find out that I'm now comfortable keeping up with most songs on the mando. Super fun evening.

* I saw that there was going to be a two-hour mandolin workshop in Ardmore on Sunday. My afternoon was pretty much free, so I decided to attend. It was fun and helpful. I wouldn't say I learned anything brand new, but it was good to review some things, and to hear some things in a new way. The focus was moveable chord shapes. I realize that I know a decent bit of music theory, and it always kinda startles me that not everyone knows that.

* I'm still on a major "Inside Llewyn Davis" kick. I *love* the soundtrack. I've been playing some of the songs, and decided to see if I could learn "Green Green Rocky Road". A few clicks later, I was watching Dave van Ronk show how to play his song! Dave van Ronk is the musician that "Llewyn Davis" is loosely based on. Very cool. He starts by calling the song "easy", and then demonstrates a finger-picking pattern that's going to take me a while to learn. But that's my project.

* Rosewood practice last night. We play Sunday afternoon at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Band-o-Rama fundraiser, and we're looking forward to it.

* I'm about to download some travel music. I like to get some new music to take on vacation, and I've decided on two discs from Mike Marshall, my mandolin teacher. I've heard tracks from both these discs on Pandora, and thought they were fantastic:
     * Mike Marshall & Darol Anger: At Home and on the Range
     * Mike Marshall & Darol Anger with Vasen

No comments:

Post a Comment