Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Ibanez SR500

As Darling Wife has been known to say, the problem with looking is that it leads to finding. She usually says that to me in a tone approaching accusatory, especially when the "looking" is at musical gear.

Of course she's right. And she was never more right than a few weeks ago when I looked at some basses in Sam Ash. I was interested in how different a Fender Jazz Bass felt and sounded from my Precision Bass. I liked the Jazz Basses, and thought that maybe I'd see if I could find a Craigslist buyer for my Precision in order to get one.

But then I played a used Ibanez SR500. I'm pretty sure I heard angels sing when I picked it up and started playing. It was the best-feeling bass I've ever had my hands on. I decided right then that if I could sell my Precision, I would get an SR500.

Craigslist worked to perfection for me, as it has so many times. I found a buyer who couldn't put cash in my hands fast enough - and as soon as I had that cash I was on the Guitar Center website. I found an SR500 in the "used gear" section, rated as "excellent condition." It was just a few dollars more than the cash I'd just received for the Fender - so a few clicks of the mouse later, it was winging its way to the Wilmington Guitar Center.

I love it as much as I thought and hoped I would. It feels great and sounds great. I didn't get it with Rosewood in mind, as I still like my Ibanez fretless. But the fretless has an occasional low buzz, which has to be something in the electronics. When the band is playing, you don't notice it - but it bothers me, and I want to get it fixed. So I've used the new bass for Rosewood rehearsals and for last night's gig (more about that very soon), and it's worked great.

This was effectively a straight trade of the Precision Bass for the SR500, and I'm completely thrilled.

1 comment:

  1. You may or may not remember this, but the first bass we had around the house when we were in high school was my Ibanez "Roadster". Nice enough for what it was. Glad you like this as much as you hoped you would. And nice to see things come full circle, in a way... :-)

    ReplyDelete