Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Stormy Monday"

Marty Schwartz of guitarjamz.com has to be one of the most prolific guitar teachers on YouTube. He posts videos on technical aspects (scales, chords, riffs, soloing techniques, etc.) and also lessons on how to play specific songs. I'm a long-time subscriber to his YouTube channels, and I have him to thank for a lot of the improvement I've made over the past year or so.

One of his recent song lessons is the blues classic "Stormy Monday", which I know as an Allman Brothers Band song, but goes way back and has been performed by many bands. After going through the lesson a couple of times, this is one of my new favorite songs to play. While it's a blues progression in the standard I/IV/V, there are a lot of subtle twists, interesting non-standard chords and passing tones.

I *love* the 9th chords on the IV and V - I love 9th chords in general, and have ever since I discovered that Led Zeppelin's "The Crunge" is a simple riff on A9 and D9 (which may be a topic for a separate post.)

I've been playing this song a lot, and I'll be playing it a lot more. I've got the chords down, so the next step (eek!) is soloing over top of these chords. I'll start slowly and see how it goes.

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment