Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Playing Bass

Tuesday night at band practice, our bass player wasn't able to be there.  So I took both my bass and a guitar (the Epiphone L.P.), figuring I could play some of each.  I ended up playing bass on the majority of the set list, switching to guitar for just the couple of songs that I really drive on the guitar.

It was more fun than I would have thought.  While I'm loving the whole process of getting competent on the guitar, I really do love the bass.  Maybe it's just that I'm a better bass player than a guitar player.  I'm not a virtuoso by any means, but I could step into a cover band today and not feel the need to apologize for my playing.  I can only play guitar with friends who understand that I'm still getting my feet under me.

More than that, I just have a rhythm player's mindset.  I like playing with the drummer and setting the beat, driving the song.  Soloing over top of that is fun too, and I'm trying my best to learn it, but at the end of the day, I want to be part of the rhythm section with a good drummer.

I wish there were enough hours in the day that I could make an effort to get better on the bass, as well as learn guitar.  At the moment there isn't, so my emphasis will be on the guitar.  But I won't pass up chances to play bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment