Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

June Wrap-up

Unbelievably, the calendar now says July. June was a very fun and very eventful month. Brief highlights, as follows:

* Annapolis is a fun little town. Playing on a sailboat for a small group of friends is a blast. Unfortunately there are no pics, but hopefully we'll do it again. And the next day, we discovered another very fun acoustic band: Sparks, Raymond, and McCoy playing on the street at an Arts Fest. They play Annapolis and Kent Island, and I'll see them again if I ever have the opportunity.

St. Peter's Bakery, 6/20/2014
* Rosewood gigs continue. We had another very fun gig at the bakery a week ago Friday, and the next one is coming up in just 10 days (Fri, July 11). Then we play the Craft Ale House in Royersford the next night (Sat, July 12). That's a new venue for us, and also a 3-hour gig (where we're used to playing for two hours at the bakery and the West End Alley.)

* I'm still playing mandolin every day, but my focus has definitely shifted back to the guitar. You can't have a Martin at your fingertips and not want to play it at every opportunity. The vibration that it gives off when you play a chord is something I *feel* as well as hear, and it's a treat.

* It's about six weeks to the Folk Fest, and I'm looking very forward to it. I'm specifically looking forward to seeing Tommy Emmanuel, Natalie McMaster, Sarah Jarosz, and the Steep Canyon Rangers. Our Buddha Shebang camp friends are starting to oil their already-well-oiled machine.

* I saw a couple of YouTube guitar lessons on REO Speedwagon's "Time For Me To Fly", and I'd forgotten what a good tune that is. It's a standard 1/4/5 song, but with some unique chord voicings. Here's a lesson on how REO's Kevin Cronin actually plays it (and yes, I verified via YouTube that he really does play it that way.) Here's another way to play it, which is how I've been playing it. It's a fun song to play, and the Martin just *rings* when you play those open chords.

* Here's a tutorial on John Mayer's "Daughters". It's a beautiful song with some jazz-type chords, and I've been playing it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment