Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Going Public with the Mando

With a bit of prodding, I've brought my mandolin out in public. I started practicing it in earnest about six months ago, when I upgraded my mando from a toy to a real instrument. I still couldn't be happier with that upgrade, and I've been practicing it pretty much every day, and I know I'm getting better.

Noodling at the Folk Fest
My friends at the acoustic jams know I've been playing, as do my acoustic band-mates, and both groups have urged me to bring it and play. That's been a scary thought, as I don't want to embarrass myself. I'm a good bass player and a passable guitar player, but still a novice mandolin player. But both groups are friendly and supportive, and the time seemed right. I brought it to the Folk Fest, though I played mostly guitar at the campfire jams - then last Sunday I brought it to the monthly acoustic jam. I played about half the songs on guitar and half on mandolin (picking the songs with easier chords for mandolin), and it worked out great.

Last week at band practice, I was urged to bring the mandolin to the next practice. I've been asked that before and never brought it - but today I did. We talked about songs in our set list where I might play it, and I played it on a couple of songs. The reaction was good! We'll talk more specifically about where it might fit, and how to amplify it, and I might even play it on some songs at the gig (which, *gulp*, is two weeks from today!) We'll see - I may still chicken out. But I feel like I've crossed a threshold, and can actually play some fairly simple things for public consumption. It's exciting. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment