Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Getting in Tune

I was in the local music store recently to get a set of strings. While at the register paying, I noticed a display of clip-on tuners for $12. I love the clip-on tuner that brother Eric got me for Christmas a few years ago, and for $12, having a second one seemed like a good idea (one for upstairs, one for the basement.) So I grabbed one.

Well, I'm now reminded of the old saying that a man with two watches is never sure exactly what time it is.

Intonation is pure physics - the note A vibrates at 440 cycles/second. There's no room for interpretation. Yet my two tuners are slightly different. If I had a guitar in tune by the old tuner, the new tuner says everything is a shade sharp. My guess is that the new tuner is correct, as I've often noticed that I'm a shade out of tune with YouTube lessons I play along with. I'd always assumed that was a by-product of YouTube, but maybe it's been me.

It's not a big deal, just a very minor annoyance - and no concern at all when playing by myself. When playing with others, I will have to decide which tuner is definitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment