Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

"Guaranteed"

There's a lot of Eddie Vedder in my house recently, as Darling Wife has discovered his solo music. There's a lot of finger-picking acoustic guitar (which I like a lot), and even a disc of ukelele songs (which I can take or leave.)

I thought I'd heard some of the acoustic guitar songs, and I finally figured out where - he did the soundtrack to the movie "Into the Wild", which I saw and liked. I stumbled on a YouTube guitar lesson for the song "Guaranteed", and I've been working on it ever since.

It's a simple and pretty song - acoustic guitar and vocals - and the chords turn out to be pretty straightforward:
G  Bm  G7  C
C  G     D

The finger-picking pattern is also pretty standard. But putting the two together at speed is *not* easy. And watching Eddie Vedder (in the clip below) play this live makes me appreciate that the man can seriously play the guitar.

I'm not sure I'll ever work up to full speed, but I'm giving it a lot of slow repetitions as a finger-picking exercise.

Finally, here's a candidate for my new theme song.


No comments:

Post a Comment