Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Simon and Garfunkel Songs

I've had the Seagull for about a month now, and I think I love it more every day. It plays great, and sounds fantastic. It rings like a bell when you strum an open chord, and the ladies in the house have made unsolicited comments on its sweet sound.

As a result, I've been playing a lot of acoustic guitar. I've been playing songs from the Acoustic Jam Meetup (We went to the October jam session and had just as much fun as we did the first time), and also practicing finger-picking.

I've been working on two of my favorite finger-picking songs, both by Simon and Garfunkel:
  • "Scarborough Fair": this is an old traditional song, but in my mind, the S&G version is definitive. The chords are easy, but the right hand is a little tricky. It's coming along nicely, but still needs a lot of repetition to get to the point where I'd like it to be.

  • "Feelin' Groovy": a very simple and very beautiful song - also probably the happiest song I can think of. The whole song is made up of one repeating phrase. It's not hard, but it also takes some repetition to get the right hand working smoothly.
Hopefully there won't be a Simon and Garfunkel mutiny in the house, because I really do need to play these songs over and over to get the right-hand picking patterns down cold. I think that when I do, I'll have made some good progress on finger-picking in general.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment